Tuesday, July 7, 2009

UPDATE MOROCCO

Since typing on the computers here is so arduous I have decided to try and beat the system. This message has been typed on my own laptop and uploaded to my camera so that it can be posted on the computer. Here is my synopsis of Morocco thus far:

I woke in Birmingham at 4:30 in the morning and got ready to catch my bus. I first had to catch a bus across town to make my Megabus connection to London. The trip to London cost 4 pounds. Once in London I had to get 8 stops on the Underground away another 4 pounds and a short train to the airport 14 pounds (note that 3 hours on a bus from Birmingham was only 4). I then stood in line to get my boarding pass for over an hour before having to run to my flight. I really hoped that eating in the airport was going to be an option.

My flight came first to Tangier and I got to see the Southern coast of Spain as I flew in. This was a great part of the trip already (granted I was on about 2 hours of sleep and no food so it was easy to get emotional over anything.

Once landing in Casablanca I had to make it into town from the airport and luckily I had read up that the train was cheap. A little wait and 4 dollars later I was in town but still not at my hostel so I hopped a short cab and made it here. Somehow I booked a room with two twin beds to myself but it is cheaper than the hostels in Europe and I like the privacy so I kept it.

I made it here around 6:30 so I had been traveling since about 5 in the morning. Needless to say my first night was not too big. I bought some local breads and food and walked around the block before committing to a night of ipod movies and staggered hot sleep. I did figure out that it is easier to sleep during the days here because the heat keeps the bugs at bay until night…. Sadly I am not here for the nightlife.

Today I walked all around the city and through the market. I also visited the Mosque here that is the largest in Africa. It was an amazing building and I only wish it was open to tourists. The call to prayer here is frequent and very loud (it sound like someone on an exaggerated megaphone yelling at all hours of the day).

I also booked my next place to stay in Marrakech for tomorrow so I am planning on waking early and catching a train. I will be staying there for the next 3 nights before moving on either to the mountains or back toward the beach and up the coast.

I have not eaten a lot since I got here but luckily I did think ahead enough to pack on a few pounds before making the trip. I was trying to slim down in England then I realized that it could be a mistake for this trip. The facilities are mostly squat toilets although there is the occasional western style (normal) one to be found and hotels use them as a selling point. At the Bellagio in Las Vegas you can request a room with a gold toilet and in Morocco you have to research to find a room with a normal one.

Well I guess that is about enough from me for now. The computer at this hostel will not let me post to the blog but it will allow for some facebook messages so if you want to see any of them just add me with the name Jonathan Walker Collins. OK I have to get back to dodging the heat.